Tuesday 8 February 2011

Top three...



For the next few blog posts I am going to be taking a look at that old chestnut, who is the best sculptor in the world (I would expect I'll get to best painter at some point as well).

But what criteria should be considered for such a choice. Should it be their technical skill, ability with natural pose, dynamics, animation, flair, paintability, character? Lots of choice and reasons to choose. Of course, when narrowing down, you're looking at all of the above and more. And then it's always difficult to choose just one. So, I'm going to wimp out and choose three. The three best sculptors in my opinion. They will be in no particular order because, if they were, then it'd be easy to take the number one spot and just choose that one.

I may then follow up with another post or two about other sculptors I admire for one reason or another...

So, I will leave you with an annoying lack of content in today's post and instead tease the next: my first choice in the 'best sculptor' category. All I'll say is that this choice will probably surprise very few...

5 comments:

  1. I bet you're going to do it in reverse order as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i await with with interest - i know who mine are but it has to be more than 3 - just found this blog by the way via tears of envy - you never said you had one steve ..... john b GW .......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top sculptor... for me it would have to be Jes Goodwin and Brian Nelson of GW for what they have done to advance the techniques of mini sculpture. Tom Meier for his fantastic realistic detail. Kevin white for his appreciation of the female form. Oh and that Steve Buddle guy's good too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry John, I never really did much promotion of this blog at all... I didn't really want to until there was some decent content and I'd proved to myself that I could still be writing it a week after starting...

    And no reverse order. As said, three sculptors. No particular order other than my choice of which order felt best to introduce them. And I'm still not sure which way blogs 2 and 3 will go...

    And Dave, I'm a fan of all those sculptors. But enough to be in my top three? We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with dave whole heartedly but i have to add seb - alex h - juan d - jag - degra - mikh to that list .......

    ReplyDelete